this routine riot

...a little less zoom, with a little more vroom...

Saturday, March 12, 2005

gymnasty

It's Friday, and like every other Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I have gymnastics. It's my favourite course ever, and I urge you to enroll your kids (when you have them) into a gymnastics program. We were doing our testing combos for the high bar and the parallel bars today. Each combo is marked from a scale of 5 to 10. The fives are the easy stuff that anyone can do, the tens are the challenging stuff. I spend lots of time on the high bar and parallel bar, so I was pumped for these combos. After getting close to another rip on my hands (that would've been my third time), I stopped swinging and went to the parallel bars. I did the combos and decided that I can do a nine easily. The hard part of the ten is the swing to handstand. My beautiful gymnastics coach had confidence that I could do it after she saw my swings. The first time I tried the swing to handstand was last week. She spotted me and I fell over forward, but it wasn't bad. I just hit my heel a bit and got a charlie horse on my calf. Today, she showed me these things called parallettes, which are practically just really low parallel bars (about a foot off the ground). You practice your handstands on these, and then you can do them on the real p-bars. Now I wanted to do them because I was the closest person who could do them in our class, and I'm no gymnast! I just swing well. Anyways, I went up once and fell back onto my feet really quickly because I didn't push up hard enough. On the second try, I pushed harder. Too hard. I was bailing out forward again, but this time no one was spotting me and the floor was really close. I did a face plant on the mat from about two feet in the air. You may have noticed my abrasions on my face, now you know why. Imagine that I was doing a handstand, but I had no arms, and I was kissing the floor. That's kind of what I looked like. Now I hope that I don't get flesh eating disease from the mat. I look like I got my ass tuned up by a bouncer, that's going to be the story I tell when people ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home