this routine riot

...a little less zoom, with a little more vroom...

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

guilty

Today I went to get some new work shoes. The Aldo shoes that I buy always break within six months of work, so I thought I'd get some good ones. From the recommendation of Chase and Brock, I wet to get some Blundstones. They are bred for their skills in durability. Unfortunately they cost around $180 (at Gravity Pope), but Chase said I could get $50 off if I went to a particular store and said that I worked at a particular restaurant. I felt uneasy about this, I always do when you have to lie. Chase said that they didn't ask him any questions though, so I took the next step. I called ahead to see if they still had the deal going on, and they did. During the drive, I started getting second thoughts. What if they ask me for proof? What if they ask me what my favourite thing on the menu is? What if they ask me who hired me or who is my manager? Ah, I was practically there, so I went into the store. Checked out the shoes and asked to get the (North American) size 9.5 of the round toe and the chisel toe. The woman went back and I heard her talking to another woman, it was about me I bet. She came out, got the shoes out, and asked me which one of the restaurants I worked at. I stuttered, "south." She goes, "ah yes, I remember Karen" (or something like that). I smile and quickly look down to try the shoes on. She then asked if I was a manager there, and I said, "oh no" (in a hell-no kind of way). I then try on the chisel toe and she asks who the manager is now that Karen left. Fuck. Things went through my mind and I just told her that I didn't really work there and I heard about the deal from my friend. She just gives me a smile. I expected a "get the fuck out," but the smile was great. I decided on the chisel toe and she agreed that they were more formal, all the while I was feeling embarrassed on the inside. I was thinking, "what ever, I can get them at Gravity Pope." I asked if I could get the deal anyways and she said no (what a surprise), but she would give me 10% off. She asked me where I worked and I told her, she added that she would give any of my work friends the same deal too, but not the particular one I was in there for. They invest in the restaurant or something so they can't give out the deal to other people, which is very understandable. She said that she appreciated my honesty. HA, what honesty? I was going to ask her. I guess she was happy that she could get the sale (and possibly future sales) and I was also happy because I got the 10% off. She caught me red-handed lying though! I thought I'd give it a try to save $50. I wish I was well off enough so that the $50 wouldn't matter. I wish that I didn't have to measure how much things cost by the hours I have to work to buy them. Amazing how much insight a shoe shopping incident can give you.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:32 PM, February 22, 2005, Blogger Mr. 'Rabbit'son said…

    It's official. I'm in love with your blog. I hope you realize the impact you have on me. Today is yet another example of blogging gold. I feel as though I was in the shoe store with you. I wasn't; you're just that good.

     
  • At 2:07 PM, February 23, 2005, Blogger jarthurs said…

    I am proud of you for even trying to get the deal. With a little more practice in the bullshitting.. i am sure that you could stroll in there and get 75$ off those shoes. They better be hot shoes. I'll have to look next time i am at work.

    and good work for ringing 800 family day. did you do well or crash and burn?

     
  • At 3:47 PM, February 23, 2005, Blogger ed said…

    Haha, $75 off hey, I am young in the art of bullshitting. I think they look kind of weird with my super tapered work jeans, but whatever, they should last a long time. I pretty much cocktailed the whole lounge while Ruth bartended for me. I crash and burned like a mofo.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home