this routine riot

...a little less zoom, with a little more vroom...

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Australia!!!!!

Hellooooooo, everybody! This is the revival of my blog and let's start with the first post of me in Australia!

A little background is that this is the first time I've lived away from home for an extended period of time. Very exciting stuff and it's a fairly big move!

Of course, all adventures start at the airport. I went to check in and then lined up to get my luggage taken care of. I finally realized that nobody was even working at the check-in desk!!! We thought Air Canada had folded!! But no, they figured it out and I think they got a couple people to check everybody in. Then we had to go through security and my flight was leaving in 40 minutes, I think. As I finally got past security, they were already boarding!!! I made it on and it was all good. Phew, close one!

Then in Vancouver, I sat in the terminal before my 15 hour flight. I must give a shout out to the free WiFi provided at the Vancouver airport!

On the plane, I had a window seat and a nice lady from Sydney had the aisle seat. Nobody was sitting in between us, yessssss. That was great. I got on to eventually watch five movies (What Happens in Vegas, Indiana Jones, Kung Fu Panda, Speed Racer, and The Happening) and even have a nice nap in there! I had my Shure SCL2 earphones and they were absolutely awesome. They blocked out a lot of the plane noise so that I could listen to the movies at the lowest volume setting (so I didn't kill my ears). I definitely recommend these to anyone who has to do some flying. As I got closer to Sydney, I started feeling a little nervous because it was getting real! I landed and missed my flight to Melbourne, so I got on a later one.

In Melbourne, I finally met up with Cyn and we headed into the city! The driving is craaaaazy!! First of all, I'm still getting used to cars driving on the left. I don't know where to look yet, so it's all a little crazy! Lots of jaywalking and lots of traffic. The Aussie accent is sometimes a little quick and it takes me a little bit to process it. I have to point out that the toilets have a cool feature as well. They have a full flush or a half flush, so you can save water if you are just flushing for a pee! That is good water saving that every toilet in the world should have. We were around Lygon Street, which has lots of restaurants and the first thing we did was get a kebab. They're pretty much what we call donairs in Canada. We had some chicken ones and it was supreme goodness! Drunk food at it's best! Then we walked around a little at night and called it a day. The next day we had some brekky and drove to Geelong. The bacon over here is pretty sweet. It's almost more like ham (I'll take some pictures next time). And also, the toast doesn't come on a separate plate or with jam. It's meant to be eaten with the eggs and bacon!

The drive from Melbourne to Geelong was also pretty interesting. People actually drive under the limit because their photo enforcement is hardcore and it gives demerits.

In Geelong, I have gone to the city for the day and walked around a bit. I can see the ocean!!!! It's actually pretty amazing. Next up will be visiting some beaches. More updates to come!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:48 PM, September 30, 2008, Blogger diana said…

    that's so funny how you were so amazed about the toast! haha. you're like a farmer who just left the village for the first time or something!

    and what other time did you live away from home? camp yowochas doesn't count b/c you still went home on the weekends.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home