this routine riot

...a little less zoom, with a little more vroom...

Thursday, December 09, 2004

lavalife

You know when you log out of hotmail, and there are those online dating ads. Lavalife is the big one, but I've seen LemonTonic and date.ca as well. I naturally got curious and clicked the Lavalife slideshow thing. Now some of these women are in their 40s, some are "full figured," and some are generally not attactive. Getting past these not PC thoughts in my head, there are actually some very nice looking people on here. You see the picture and click the link to see a little description. Wow, these girls sound perfect. Hmmm, but if they are so nice looking and nice sounding, why do they have to advertise themselves to millions of people on the internet? Maybe I'm thinking of this the wrong way by thinking personals is a dumb idea, but I guess nothing is working for me since I'm a career singler (see "a person who is single"). Maybe online dating is the new "I go to the bar to pick up chicks/dudes." But who really goes to bars to meet a potential girlfriend? Then again, maybe it's just me again. I go to bars to drink, dance, and socialize (with friends I already have). That might be the problem, I don't like talking to drunk strangers (probably more of the I'm too scared to talk to the hot girls). Why do I have to initiate the conversation though? It's because I'm not decked out in my J. Lindeberg clothes, wearing my Von Dutch mesh trucker, or smoking my Virginia Slims (that one is for Ryan). Wait a second, let's go back to online dating. So being the singler that I am, and seeing these sites, I should give this a try! I mean, why not, it's better than nothing right? An inventory of wonderful choices, for me to choose to talk with or not. But how wonderful can these choices be. Why don't these people already have boyfriends? Easy, the internet requires no social skills. You can say you are the world's greatest, but until you get up to that girl/boy and start talking, all that means shit. It's like having a good resume, if you can't communicate in person, you aren't getting the job. So, being in line with my theory of a blogman blog, I'm not going to sacrifice another one of my forms of human interaction to the internet. There is apparently some money in those online personals though. No, I'm not talking about the ads that they probably generate, but the demand for "professional" picutres taken for the daters to use on their profile. Now, time for me to get my home studio going! Enough on this subject. Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home